Made with whipped potatoes dipped in egg wash and gluten-free breadcrumbs, they have an oozing center of fresh mozzarella cheese. For a dairy-free version, stuff them with sautéed eggplant, sausage or artichoke hearts. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
Inside Out Pizza Bites by Bella Gluten-Free
Prep: 30 mins
total: 40 mins
1 cup Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
½ pound potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, pecorino cheese or dairy-free alternative, optional, more for serving
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh mozzarella, sautéed eggplant, cooked sausage or lightly fried artichoke hearts
1 large egg, beaten
Oil, for frying
Tomato sauce, for dipping
1. Place chopped potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse.
2. In a large bowl or food processor container, mix together garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Add cooked potatoes and whip mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Using wet hands, form potato mixture into 2-inch balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Make a deep thumbprint in each ball and press about ½ teaspoon mozzarella (or filling of choice) inside. Close the gap, smoothing the side of each ball.
5. Set up a “breading station” with one mixing bowl of the Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix, one mixing bowl of the beaten eggs, and one mixing bowl of the gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Chef hint: Keep one hand as a dry hand and one hand wet and alternate!
With your “dry hand” dip each ball first in Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix then with “wet hand” in beaten egg, and again with your dry hand back to the Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix and roll in gluten-free breadcrumbs. Repeat for each ball.
6. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 inches of oil. Add balls to pan and fry until golden brown about 2 to 3 minutes a side.
7. Serve hot with tomato sauce and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.