Roasted peppers, caramelized onions, Italian sausage, sundried tomatoes, a little cheese and splash of sauce blend to create a mouthwatering old world peasant dish fit for a queen. Serves 4
Rustic Italian Pizza Recipe by Bella Gluten-Free
Servings: Makes 8 servings.
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 50 mins
Add to one pizza crust prepared from Bella Gluten-Free Pizza Dough, Rolls and Focaccia Mix
2 TBL olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
½ lb Italian sausage, casing removed
2 peppers, red, orange or yellow, roasted and peeled
½ cup sundried tomatoes, hydrated and sliced
1 cup mozzarella, grated or cheese substitute (optional)
1 cup sauce of your choosing
1 TBL fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease a pizza pan.
• Prepare Bella Gluten-Free Pizza Dough Mix. Shape and let rise according to instructions. For a crisper crust allow dough to rise then bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes before adding toppings.
• In a large skillet, add oil, garlic and onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add sausage, salt and pepper and cook until brown, about 7-10 minutes. Break up sausage with the spatula into bite size pieces.
• Add roasted peppers (roast in oven or on grill for 20 minutes) and hydrated sundried tomatoes.
• Ladle marinara sauce over the top of risen pizza dough. Add cheese and sausage and onion mixture. Arrange sun dried tomatoes slices and roasted peppers. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
• Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown. If you use the crisper pizza method, bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved.
For an easier preparation, use store bought roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes and your favorite sauce.