Southern Fried Chicken by Bella Gluten-Free
In just a few minutes you be eating tender, juicy, crispy fried chicken that even my southern friends approve of. Add some Bella Gluten-Free waffles and your southern meal will be complete.
Servings: Makes 8-10 servings.
Prep: 10 mins
Total: 25 mins
- 1 whole chicken cut up into 8- 10 pieces
- 1 TBL Kosher salt
- 2 Tsp pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk or milk alternative with 1 TBL lemon juice or 1 tsp vinegar added
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix
- Oil for frying such as Spectrum Organic Shortening, Coconut Oil or Peanut Oil
Mix it Up
- Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces. Remove back and wing tips and discard.
- Whisk together salt, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, paprika and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- Roll chicken pieces in dry rub and coat throughly. Place in large bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Can be done overnight.
- Allow meat to return to room temperature, about 1/2 hour. In small bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. In another bowl, add Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix.
- Add a shortening or oil to a large heavy bottomed skillet or deep wok, about 2 " deep. Let heat until temperature reaches 350 degrees or oil is smoking slightly. Dip chicken in milk/egg mixture and then dredge it in the Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix. Add to hot oil in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook rotating the chicken every 2 minutes until it is golden brown. Cook breasts, thighs and legs take about 10 minutes and wings, about 8 minutes. Transfer to lined baking sheet and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.