This recipe has a hearty winter root vegetable theme but feel free to create whatever strikes your fancy. With your favorite stew nestled in a tender crust, made with Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix, you simply can't go wrong.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe by Bella Gluten-Free
Servings: Makes 6-8
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 60 mins
- Make a double batch of Bella Gluten-Free Savory Pastry Crust (omit sugar)
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 small white onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 whole chicken or small turkey breast, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and julienne
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh baby peas
- 1 cup heavy cream or soy cream (optional)
- 2 TBL Olive oil
- 1 TBL Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 TBL Thyme, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Sage
- 3 TBL Potato Starch
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium sauce pan, cover bottom with olive oil and butter combo and simmer over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped meat (if desired) and saute until brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips and celery and saute for 5 minutes until vegetables are very lightly caramelized or light brown in color.
- Add broth, sweet potato, peas, salt, pepper, minced thyme, sage and whole bay leaves. Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered reducing liquid by 1/3 and veggies are al dente. Adjust flavors with salt, pepper and herbs. Remove bay leaves before continuing.
- Add 3 TBL of Potato Starch to 3 TBL water. Stir. Mixture should be as thick as you like the filling to be. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream or milk alternative (if desired) and simmer for 3 minutes. Add potato starch thickener and simmer for 3 minutes or until soup has visibly thickened. Remove from heat. Pour into a 9”x13” glass baking or casserole dish.
- Roll out chilled dough between two pieces of wax or parchment paper to a slightly larger size than your baking pan. Transfer dough from wax paper to top of pot pie mixture. Fold edges to form a scalloped crust.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes until crust is golden brown.