The addition of lemon and basil take these cookies over the top. Serve them with a scoop of gelato and you’ll have a incredible gourmet dessert.
Lemon-Basil Biscotti Recipe by Bella Gluten-Free
Servings: Makes 12-15 servings.
Prep: 10 mins
Total: 35 mins
1 3/4 cups Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter or butter alternative
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 tsp lemon extract
1 TBL lemon zest
2 TBL fresh basil, finely chopped.
Preheat oven 375 degrees and lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix and baking powder.
• With the paddle attachment of a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid, cream butter until white, and then add sugar. Beat for 3-5 minutes until mixture is fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing on slow speed just until incorporated. Mix in lemon extract, lemon zest, and basil. Add dry ingredients and mix just enough, until ingredients combine to form a soft dough.
• Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour. Dough can be refrigerated overnight.
• On a cutting board lightly dusted with Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix, roll dough into two 2 x 6” logs. Place side-by-side on the baking sheet, leaving room for dough to spread.
• Bake for 20–22 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Cut log into individual biscotti about 1” thick. Lay flat on baking sheet and return to oven for 7–10 minutes for your “twice baked” toasting. Store leftovers in airtight container.
Makes 12-15 biscotti
Biscotti will be quite doughy after the initial baking, so let them cool in order to slice and handle them. I like to cut them gently with a pastry knife or a chef’s knife, using the utensil to turn them on their sides for the second toasting.